CELEBRATING THE ART OF LIVING WELL,
AS THE FRENCH DO,
BY USING ALL FIVE SENSES
TO APPRECIATE EVERYTHING ABOUT LIFE

(FOR MY JOIE DE VIVRE PHILOSOPHY, READ MY FIRST THREE POSTS FROM JUNE 2009)






25 August 2010

Tablescape Thursday


A FORMAL LUNCHEON

In this client's dining room, I painted a Chinese mural, with bluebirds and butterflies, and faux chinoiserie lattice work around the room, under the chair rails. I felt this grand room, with its Waterford chandelier and elegant woodwork and appointments, called for a truly formal table setting. These photos were taken a couple of years ago for the book, Spectacular Homes of New England.

I used my own Herend Rothschild Bird china, along with some pieces of Herend's Queen Victoria pattern, Baccarat and antique crystal, Tiffany Chrysanthemum flatware, and Swiss linens. By an amazing chance, the homeowner happened to own a Rothschild Bird tureen that matched mine, so we were able to display two on the mantlepiece!
(Photos by Nan & Monty Abbott)

I wish I had more pictures of this setting, up close, but I will focus on a similar setting with lots of individual close-ups for next week. (This week, I'm rushing to get ready for our grandchildren to visit our new home - lots of unpacking boxes and childproofing still to be done!)

Bon Appetit!

To view tablescapes by other bloggers, every Thursday, visit Between Naps On The Porch, where they are all linked in. Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous tablescape and the Chinese mural is beautiful. I love the whole room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mural is GORGEOUS! It looks like homes in my area of Connecticut... You do "beautiful work", I'm looking forward to seeing more next week. Have fun with the "Grandkiddies"!
    Hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful room! Love the mural. The table looks exqusite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely setting in an equally lovely room!

    Some news: We're staring a Giveaway Friday! link-up party this Fri. 8/27 plus we are giving away custom backsplash! Hope you'll join us.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, This is truely the kind of room that makes my heart sing! So seldom do I see one done in such an elegant and rich traditional style. I could search out every little detail for hours!!! I think I love the ballance of color so very much. The neutral walls, creamy white molding( and I love white molding) and the dark wood give this a feel of depth and importance. I love the perfect proper tablescape.
    I just don't see something so lovely and breathtaking very often. Thank you... I LOVE IT!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must follow someone who posts such lovely things!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can certainly see why they were in that book. They are SPECTACULAR. That is what I think of when I think the words formal luncheon.

    I would love to be a guest at this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is what I call a dream tablescape because everything on it is very expensive and I can only dream of them. Stunning!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning!! Wow I what talent to paint like that!

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your painting is stunning, as is the tablescape and the rest of the room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work! Of course, you can never go wrong with Rothschilds Bird and Queen Victoria, and the Baccarat is magnificent. Do you remember the base color on the wall...such a rich neutral! i'm a mural/trompe l'oeil artist, too. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness!! You have the Herend!! I just cannot catch my breath over this one. This is so incredibly perfect and elegant. It's just too much for my heart--Tiffany flatware and the Baccarat crystal. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I'm so glad to find yours:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the tablescape but unfortunately I want to see more photos. Also I fall in love with the wall. Is it paiting, sticker or stencil If you tell I will preasuade to you. Thaks for sharing your photos with us best wishes Aygun

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really spectacular, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing room! Just gorgeous! I will eagerly await your next post featuring the Herend! Thank you for your comments on my table this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally classic and stunning. As a painter myself, I must say Bravo to your work. Very talented and I am inspired by this room!!
    Gorgeous!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, such stunning artwork and the table is a lovely compliment to the gorgeous room.

    Enjoy your grands!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Mrs.Dickerson,

    Your Chinese mural, with bluebirds and butterflies is GORGEOUS!in the client's dining room. Also,the table and Herend. It is not possible to find correct words for your artwork. Thank you very much to sharing with us. If it possible could you explain,what kind of material do you use for painting. I would like to know only color, is water base?. Thank you so much, once again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kate, this is absolutely breathtaking! I think my ♥ skipped a beat or two when I first open your link from Susan's TT. What magnificent work!

    I am your newest delighted follower!

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  20. In response to Oznur's question, I used acrylic paint - wall paint, plus artist's colors, which I mixed with the wall paint. The wall color was a special mix, but was similar to a Benjamin Moore color which I will find and post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Share on Tumblr